Cucumber is very famous as a vegetable. Not only eating, but this fruit is also known for its benefits for the world of beauty, which refreshes the skin around the eyes. However, the true benefits of this cucumber are effective for the eyes? Check out the review below to understand the benefits and how to use it.
Benefits of cucumbers for swollen eyes and panda eyes (dark cycle around eyes)
Cucumber (Cucumis sativus L) belongs to a type of fruit with melons and pumpkins. Besides being known as food, this fruit is also popular in traditional medicine in India. One of them for beauty treatments, such as removing the area of the skin around the blackened eyes (panda eyes) and reduce swelling.
There are many studies that look at the benefits of cucumbers for the eyes. The researchers agree that some of the content of this cucumber is very good for skin health around the eyes, such as:
Cucumbers into the ranks of fruit that contain lots of water. Therefore, cucumbers can moisturize the area under the eyes and restore the skin’s natural flexibility and thus potentially prevent wrinkles.
Cucumbers have a cooling effect when applied to the skin. Especially if served cold, the effect can refresh the skin and prevent the buildup of fluid around the eye socket. The cooling effect of cucumbers can also reduce swelling like a cold compress.
Cucumbers are rich in antioxidants, such as cucurbitacins, vitexin, orientin, and isoscoparin. Reporting from the HuffPost page, Gregory Nikolaidis, a dermatologist in Austin whose nutrition from cucumbers can relieve swelling and dark circles in the eyes.
Cucumbers also contain vitamin C, vitamin K, and folic acid. Vitamin C can build skin by stimulating the growth of new cells. Temporary vitamin K can reduce eye color changes that cause dark circles. Then, folic acid stimulates antioxidants against toxins or infections that cause swelling.
How to use cucumbers for swollen eyes
Want to get the benefits of cucumbers for the eyes? Follow the steps below to use this.
- Clean your face and dry with a soft towel.
- Prepare cucumbers that have been stored in the refrigerator beforehan.Cut the cucumber and the tip of the exhaust. Next, slice the cucumber 1.5 cm, making sure you don’t cut it too thin. You might peel the skin if you like.
- Then, lay down your body and place a slice of cucumber over your eyes. Allow up to 15 minutes for the nutrients to be absorbed by cucumber skin. Then, rotate the cucumber if it doesn’t feel cold anymore.
In addition to cucumbers, you can also combine with former chamomile tea bags on the eyes. However, these two ingredients do not apply too long, which is about 4 to 5 minutes.
These results will be more effective if balanced with a healthier lifestyle, including:
- Choose foods that contain less sodium and reduce the use of salt
- Enough sleep so that eye health is maintained
- Drink lots of water so that the swelling is reduced
- Quit smoking
If the swelling continues, you should immediately see a doctor. Although rare, swelling and blackening of the area around the eye can be an indicator of other conditions that must be diagnosed and treated appropriately.